Ship with Us
The New Orleans Public Belt Railroad serves the New Orleans area; however, our knowledge of markets extends far beyond the city. NOPB’s commercial expertise and diverse services are well-suited for importers and exporters alike. Our commercial contacts at the other rail companies and our understanding of domestic markets allow the NOPB and its transload partners to offer world-class options to domestic shippers.
The Business Development Department will help you explore the potential for rail transport to and from New Orleans. The NOPB’s connection with six (6) Class 1 railroads is a tremendous asset, affording customers a direct connection to 132,000 miles of track serving all of North America. We also have international connections. Interfacing with ocean carriers, stevedores and Class 1s can be a daunting task. We are here to help. For more information, please contact NOPB's Business Development team at BusinessDevelopment@railnola.com.
- Be a ‘one-stop shop’ for rail services in New Orleans and throughout 132,000 miles of connecting track
- Provide a single point of contact for rail and logistics services
- Utilize our contacts in the railroad industry to provide efficient, customer-friendly and cost-effective transport solutions
The NOPB interchanges rail cars among each of the six Class I railroads with operations in New Orleans and distributes freight to and from New Orleans’ riverfront docks and other industries. Learn more about our Class I partners and their extensive networks here.
What Can I Ship?
The NOPB handles a variety of commodities for both international and domestic customers.
- Typical import cargos include: natural rubber, plywood, steel products (coils, plate, beams, pipe), non-ferrous metals, ores/minerals, frack sand and dimensional equipment.
- For the export market, we move paper, lumber, resins, grain, animal feeds, chemicals and project cargo.
- For our domestic customers, we haul cement, paper, wallboard, steel, aggregates, canned goods and liquids such as latex, asphalt and other chemicals.
As well as providing switching and interchange services for our six Class 1 partners, the NOPB moves rail freight to and from the Port of New Orleans’ riverfront terminals and from New Orleans area logistics providers and manufacturers.
Railcar owners can store their cars on NOPB’s network then deploy them directly to sites throughout North America on the networks of BNSF, UP, KCS, CN, NS or CSX. Storage options include:
- short term
- long term
- private railcars
- loaded or empty
Connections to Transloading
Third-party logistics providers on NOPB’s network are adept at handling your liquid bulk and dry bulk transloading, bagging or warehousing needs. In several locations it is possible to transload from rail to barge and rail to truck. Industrial sites are available for development for parties that want to handle their own transloading.
The highly skilled team at NOPB's railcar repair facility works diligently to preform repairs in compliance with Association of American Railroad procedures and billing schedule. We keep your fleet operating safely.