At NOPB, We Are Proud to Be Your Neighbor.
We are dedicated to being responsible urban neighbors, committed to public safety best practices. In 2018, we launched the Urban Rail Initiative, a company-wide program that addresses infrastructure improvements, operations practices, and internal and external outreach. The purpose of the initiative is to improve community relations while increasing fluidity across the network.
The plan is designed to be an adaptable assessment of community needs and strategies which can be amended as feedback from our neighbors' shifts. This way we are able to respond appropriately to each area and situation. The initiative will take time, investment and dedication to implement, but we are on the way and dedicated to building our credibility and delivering on promises made.
What Has Already Been Done?
- Air hoses have been installed at key crossings. Hoses allow crews to break a train and allow traffic to pass if there is a prolonged blockage. Additional sites for installation are being evaluated.
- Power switches are being installed across the system. These switches are automated, so crews do not have to stop the train and manually line the switch, resulting in improved fluidity and reduced blockages.
What is currently being done?
- Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements (CRISI) Federal Grant Award - NOPB's New Orleans Gateway Rail Fluidity and Capacity Improvements Project will improve efficiencies and increase NOPB’s capacity to switch, interchange and store cars.
Railroad Safety and Railroad Education Initiatives
- NOPB and Operation Lifesaver of Louisiana (OL of LA) - In partnership with OL of LA, NOPB is launching railroad safety education in the metro New Orleans area's K-12 schools.
- NOPB's Safety Crawfish Conductor - NOPB is proud to introduce Tchoup, our crawfish conductor, who is focused on rail crossing safety. Our new coloring book with Tchoup and friends is available for download on the Community section of our site.
- NOPB's Digital Learning Toolbox - NOPB invites students, educators, parents and other members of the community to learn more about the NOPB's local railroad industry.
And this is just the beginning. Find announcements here and on the News and Media Page.
As we are striving to be better neighbors, we want to hear from you! Please send us your questions, suggestions, and concerns. A member of our team will respond to you as soon as possible. You can also use the form below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For immediate assistance in an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.