At NOPB, safety is our first priority each and every day.
NOPB has a safety and training department, dedicated to two core missions:
- To create a safe environment for all employees, customers and the public
- To maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local rules and regulations
To achieve these objectives, NOPB has a robust internal education program and strong working relationships with the emergency response community. In 2019, our team received over 1,500 hours of training. We are on track to surpass that in 2020.
Our team is on call 24/7/365 in the unlikely event of an emergency. The NOPB emergency line is 504.896.7442. If you are in need of immediate assistance, dial 911.
Why do railroads move hazmat?
The freight rail industry has an impressive safety record, with 99.999% of hazmat carloads moved without incident. Our commitment to becoming even safer makes us the best choice for moving hazmat materials vital to our everyday lives. In fact, the federal government requires railroads to carry hazardous materials.
According to March 2017 Federal Railroad Administration data based on per million train miles, since 2000 the:
- Train accident rate is down 44%
- Equipment-caused accident rate is down 34%
- Track-caused accident rate is down 53%
- Derailment rate is down 44%